Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday 30 December 2010

SO, what was in those Pengelly Hampers?

It's become a bit of a tradition of mine since I've been married that every year I make up hampers for my family and close friends and I make 100% of all the goodies that go in them! I didn't want to tell you before Christmas about what went in them as it would have spoilt the surprise!

I try to add something new or different every year. I make jams and chutneys all year round, so I save some special ones aside for the hampers, but I start to make the Christmassy ones from September onwards. I also like to make Sloe Gin and Vodka and they are lucky to make the hampers each year! And of course, there are the bits and pieces which have to be made the week up to Christmas as it won't last... I normally spend the week up to Christmas frantically running around the kitchen, making, baking, preparing... and then the sewing... goodness, it never ends! But I wouldn't have it any other way!

This year the hampers contained:
- Roasted Shallot and Cranberry Relish
- Christmas Chutney
- Nigella's Chilli Jam
- Pengelly Piccalilli
- Lemon Curd (recipe from the Pink Whisk) which is uber zingy!
- Double Chocolate Biscotti
- Candied Orange Sticks dipped in dark Chocolate from the River Cottage

A selection of goodies about to go into their Christmas Bags!

Lovely glistening candied orange peel covered in dark chocolate! Mmmm!
 With making the candied orange, my only tip would be that when you go to peel the oranges, cut the top and bottom off the orange, and them score 4-5 lines down the orange and then peel as it gives you lovely straight lines and good size pieces that you can then cut into slices. I juiced the remaining orange flesh for fresh juice on Christmas Morning. This recipe is really cheap - 5 large oranges cost me 99p at our local grocers, plus £1.00 for a bag of sugar, and a bar of dark chocolate for £1.50... in return it make enough slices for 5 sweetie bags with 15-18 sticks in each! Thanks River Cottage!

I made my mum and my mother in law napkins this year.... do you like them?

Festive napkins!
And the lovely patchwork ones for my mum....
Patchwork napkins with assorted central panels
As you can imagine, I never have any complaints and the edible contents never last that long! Oh well, better start thinking about what I can put in them for next Christmas.... fudge maybe?

I'm happy to share any recipes if anything takes your fancy!

Cheerio,

Nic xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what great gifts! Love the napkins :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were lucky to be recipients of one of these hampers. Wonderful Christmas present, Contents were very tasty. Mum and Dadxx.

    ReplyDelete