Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Girl about town... and men (and women) in lycra!

Totally off the food and craft thread I’m afraid... I need to ramble on about my other interests here and share my weekend experience with you all.

Firstly, however, there is good news from the Pengelly Belly Kitchen! The new oven has been installed! Say hello my double fan oven! I can’t tell you how delighted I am! I can now get back on track with cooking yummy creations which include a batch of cakes for the lovely boys from the Estates office who replaced it for us. My my, they do get spoilt. No wonder they like coming to our house.

Anyway way, back to the weekend. We were supposed to be climbing Snowdon and I was ready to make a stash of Pengelly Belly Granola Bars and Tiffin for the climb, however the walk on Sunday got cancelled because of the weather forecast – snow and high winds. Sorry, did you say snow!? Yes I did! And it did snow, so I’m glad we didn’t go. Snowdon will still be there for another day and I am determined to climb it again and get a good view from the top as last time it was foggy and I saw bugger all! As you can imagine, I was very disappointed. I’d been seeking myself up all week.

Then Mr P had a bright idea... careful now! He’d seen in his weekly edition of Cycling Weekly (here comes our shared passion along with food) that there was a premier cycling event taking place in London at night. It was the LG Markets London Nocturne Event which takes place around Smithfield Market. Since we now live within a sensible travelling time to London we thought that would make the weekend. So I packed a picnic, we hopped in the car and headed towards London. By 1230 we were sat in Hyde Park eating out picnic, watching the world go by. And of course the Trooping the Colour was taking place in London on Saturday as well and we saw the fly-by as we were sat in the park. Very impressive!
We walked over to Smithfield Market, via the Museum of London which was very interesting – worth a visit if you are ever in that area of the City, and then made our way to our spot in behind the railings to watch the cycling events.

It wasn’t all about professionals cycling – the event started off with Penny Farthing Races, Brompton Races, Time Trials and then the Pros. See photos here and here Very exciting! The crowds and the atmosphere was electric. The Pro race didn’t start until 0930 and the streets were packed. Everyone how cow bells that we rang out everytime they passed us and we were banging the boards on the side of the railings. The noise was deafening!

We also witnessed a spectacular crash which made me feel a bit ill. Ambulance please. Seeing a crash in real time vs. Seeing them on TV is quite a difference. After 10minutes or so, the guy did get up and walk over the finishing line (big respect) but he was a mess and was then carted off in an ambulance.

I must admit watching the pros was awesome. They went past us so fast that it actually took your breath away. Team Sky's Alex Dowsett was just amazing! He led from the front and lapped everyone...he even had time to cheer on the crowd! What a guy!

The whole event didn't finish till gone 11pm... and we didn't get home till 0130! A very long and exciting day! Just gearing up for Le Tour now!

Cheerio,

Nic xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment