Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Soup and baking weather

Hello my lovelies, how are you doing?

I must admit that I think winter is on it's way and the summer is long gone. As I type this, its howling with wind and lashing it down with rain outside, I'm in my PJs and my fluffy Seasalt bed socks.... and it's only the beginning of September! Bah humbug!

I made my first batch of soup for the wintry season at the weekend which was inspired by my dad's tagine which I have blogged about recently. I thought I could create a Moroccan flavoured soup and it worked very well indeed.

Just follow my tagine recipe, but omit the chicken / quorn. Make sure you make it in a big stock pot. The only thing different that I did was add some stock and water to cover the vegetables. Bring it to the boil and simmer for 40minutes. Then blitz! Before you do blitz, remember to take out the cinnamon sticks and the star anaise!

Mmmm lovely warm soup and fresh bread!
Since the weather was so dreadful and I had become a rugby widow at the weekend, I decided to have a go and making some raspberry and coconut slices from a wonderful little book from Marks and Spencer which only cost me £5.00. It's full of macaroon, tray bakes, slices and biscuits to make!

Raspberry jam layer on top of the doughy base

Sprinkle with coconut and sugar


End result (must reduce cooking time slighty!)


Perfect!
 This slice keeps really well in the cake tin for a week... unless the giant mouse in the house eats it all!

Cheerio, got to go and get my banana cakes out of the oven... there's a birthday at work tomorrow and bringing in cake!

Nic xoxox

1 comment: