Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday 4 November 2011

Sacher Torte Challenge Complete!

Hurrah!

I've just finished my first sacher torte.... and have learnt a few lessons to take forward for the next one. That's what I like about baking new things. The first one is always the trial and then you learn from your mistakes and improve.


Ingredients aren't that complicated... just couldn't find the right percentage chocolate in the shop so used 46% instead of 39% - chocolate, eggs, sugar, flour, ground almonds, vanilla extract, butter... all stuff that I have in the cupboard!
First things first, if you are going to make a sacher torte and you have a fan oven, reduce the temperature to 160C and reduce the cooking time. I cooked mine for 37 minutes... next time I will do it for 40, but no more... I feel it just needed that extra minute. Apart from that, I am really pleased with my first attempt. I do need to buy myself a new pipping nozzle for fine icing though!

Looking good to me!
Bathed in apricot preserve....and left to set before adding the ganache
And the final item!
I spent time practising my "sacher" text until I was pleased, and then my piping nozzle went to pot as I was writing on the cake - bah! Oh well, lesson learnt. Time to buy a decent piping nozzle....

Just another 3 minutes in the oven next time, and this will be perfect! Apart from that it tastes amazing!
It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. It's one of those cakes where you can make the cake itself, leave to cool, go off and do something, come back, add the ganache, go off again.... and then finish it. No rush. You can't harm it. Just be near the oven towards the end of the cooking time.... that's my only advice.

Give it a go as it is uber yummy!

Cheerio!

Nic xoxoxox

1 comment:

  1. Wow Nic looks amazing. How come with all your cooking you also look so amazing? If I cooked and ate I would be the size of a bus!!:-(

    ReplyDelete