Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 31 October 2010

Nigella's Guinness Gingerbread

This recipe was one that really tickled my taste buds after reading it in Nigella's new cookbook, "Kitchen". The picture in the book looked moist and scrummy. So I had to give it a go as I love ginger... and quite partial to a little bit of Guinness.
The actual cake mixture is more like a batter. It is quite runny so I decided to use a tinfoil tray instead of a spring-loaded cake tin as I didn't want any leaks.

As my oven in a fan oven, I reduced the temperature to 160 degrees C instead of 180 degrees C, and cooked it for 5 minutes longer. You really need to watch the cake after 40minutes as it can catch on top because of the amount of syrup and sugar in the cake. I had to cover mine with tinfoil.
Result - well, the top of the cake cracked a little and I need to play around with the temperature and cooking time for my oven for the next cake as the centre was still a little moist. It wasn't gingery enough for me, so I made a ginger and lemon fudge icing for the top and sprinkled over some chopped stem ginger.

Needs another attempt and a bit of tweaking, but it is very easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment