Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday 26 November 2010

The Best of Cornish Food and Drink Part 2 - Cheese

Cheese.

Need I say anymore?

Cornwall produces some amazing cheese and I am so lucky to have a wonderful selection of markets and delis that feed my need for cheese. You can't beat a good cheese board with some home made bread and chutney, all washed down with a nice glass or port (or a glass of Polgoon Aval!?)... I promise to take a photo of our next cheese board feast for you all to drool over.

I share my passion for cheese with Mr. P. He loves cheese more than I do. However, we do have to limit our cheese purchases or else we would end up with cheese hips!

So, what's available in Cornwall? A lot! Really, the choice is phenomenal! I could write a book about the cheese produced in Cornwall. So here are some of my favourites.

Lynher Dairy make the most amazing yarg. Yarg is a delicious semi-hard cheese that is creamy under the rind and slightly crumbly in the core. You buy then in lovely truckles that are wrapped in nettles. They also do a garlic yarg which is rather scrummy.

I do like a bit of Cornish Organic Brie...at room temperature of course, slightly over ripe so that it oozes out... (I do like Brie with chocolate spread - I can hear you all screaming at me - though for this I use a cheaper version for my indulgence!).

But my favourite is a nice bit of Cornish Blue which is actually in the local news today. Mr P doesn't do blue cheese (shame, more for me!) as he is scared of the mould, but I love it at room temperature spread on a nice digestive biscuit with some cranberry and shallot relish... homemade of course!

Tregida Smoke House (it's in the name) smoke local cheese which creates an amazing smooth smokey flavour. You can't beat a nice slab of smoked Cheddar. They smoke brie, Stilton and feta. We buy their cheese from Truro Market on a Saturday but you can buy on line.

Now there's another post heading! What do you put your cheese on? There are also a host of local companies in Cornwall that make savoury biscuits for cheese!

Anyway, then we go into the realms of the wonderfully Cornish named cheeses like Menallack, Keltic Gold, Miss Muffet... all made locally and all able to purchase from most good delis and cheese shops in Cornwall.

For those with a stronger pallet and, as I call it, like cheese with a rural farmy taste, try Worthy Mature Cheddar. Luckily for us they were stood right next to Polgoon at the Trereife Christmas Food and Craft Fair last week, so we sampled some cheese and washed it down with some Polgoon Aval! A winning combination.

We have to pop over the border as Godminster Organic Cheddar deserves a mention here as well and the  Welsh Black Bomber made in Snowdonia... celtic links and all that! These are amazing cheddars in there own right

Where to buy:
- The Cheese Shop, Truro
- The Cheese Shed - Westcountry Artisan Cheese
- Truro Market on Lemon Quay (Wednesday and Saturday)
- Trevaskis Farm Shop
- Lobbs Farm Shop
- Richards Farm Shop

My list could go on for ever, but I think you get the point. When you come to Cornwall you have to enjoy some of our local cheeses. I'm sorry if I missed off any producers or stockists from my post, the list can go on forever!

Part 3 coming soon... the good ole Cornish Pasty... which will be made by my own hands!

Nic xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment