Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 7 November 2010

Nigella's Beer Braised Pork Knuckles

Last night we had the family up for supper and I did Nigella's Beer Braised Pork Knuckles and they were AMAZING! The knuckles were brought from our local farm shop and butchery at Trevaskis Farm. They were beauties! And a total bargain at £4.80 for three! I had to do a double take at the price!


After rubbing them in garlic, caraway seed and seasalt, they were placed on a bed of sliced banana shallots (I used shallots instead of onions as they are a bit sweeter) and roasted for 30minutes before I added the potato wedges, apples and celeriac. The celeriac was my addition. And then they were bathed is some local amber ale from the Wooden Hand Brewery in Truro and popped back into the oven to cook slowly for 2 hours.

After 2 hours they were taken out of the oven and basted in the remaining beer and then returned to the oven for the final 30minutes.


The apples, potato and celeriac was decanted into a bowl and placed in the oven to keep warm whilst my dad did the honor of carving up the pork knuckles on my large wooden chopping board before being carried, like royalty into the dining room... somehow the knuckles were missing some crackling! I can't imagine where it went... dad!?!?!! The pork was succulent, juicy and just fell off the bone. Hardly any fat as well.


Served up with some seasonal local veg and gravy made with the juices from the pan and more ale it went down a treat! Luckily there was enough left for me today to have with bubble and squeak! I'd definitely do this one again! Embrace the pork knuckle!

Nicola xoxox

1 comment:

  1. Bloody marvelous!  Is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete