Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday 11 November 2010

Nothing like some squiddly diddlies!

When Mr P is away during the week for work I tend to eat food that I like and can indulge in. You see, Mr P is a vegetarian. Not that there is nothing wrong with that. I love vegetarian food. So, I eat vegetarian food 98% of the time... apart from when he is away and I fancy something from the realms of the ocean!

I can take or leave red meat; chicken I'm not to fussed about (unless its mum's roast dinner!); but I love fish and seafood... especially squid! One of my favourite restaurants in St.Ives serves local squid with the most amazing white citrus miso dressing with black spices. Unfortunately they only serve it in starter size servings. I could eat a bucket of the stuff and the sauce is amazing!

Anyway, when I want a quick and speedy supper, I like to make my polenta dusted squid rings, served with a nice salad and a lime mayonnaise. And it's cheap!

Start with some nice clean baby squid, tentacles and all (ok, you don't have to eat the tentacles if you don't like them!), and either score the squid on the inside in a criss-cross pattern so that they curl up when they hit the heat, or cut them into chunky rings - up to you.


Then place the little beauties into a plastic food bag and add 1 heaped tbsp of plain flour, and 2 tbsp of polenta. Add some ground black pepper, seal the bag and give it a good shake. Place in the fridge for 30minutes.

In a deep pan or large frying pan, heat up some ground nut oil. It only needs to be 1cm deep. Once the oil is hot, gently drop the squid into the hot oil. This is best done is small batches. After 2minutes, the squid should be done. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on a plate with some kitchen roll. Once all of the squid has been cooked, place some salad on a plate and scatter like golden jewels. Serve with some lime mayonnaise.



Delicious!

Nic xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment